Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sumidero Canyon

I missed the guided trip to Sumidero Canyon because I did not book the day before. However, an employee at the hostel gave me the directions for getting there. I walked down to the highway to catch a colectivo, which is a passenger van that goes whenever it fills. I then got dropped an hour later at Cahuare, and walked the 500m down to the dock. This cost me 35 pesos.

I waited on the dock for about an hour, until the colectivo boat was also full. 95 pesos got me a tour of the 5+ kilometre-long canyon, with limestone walls towering over one kilometre above the water line. Monkeys, herons, and an alligator were the extent of the wildlife, but I was most taken by the canyon walls. Sumidero is definitely a hotspot on the Mexican climbing scene, and there are even some deep water soloing opportunities here - if you don't mind alligators, that is.

I chatted up a guide while we were waiting on the dock, and I managed to catch a ride back with him and two Australians on a full tour of the region. In exchange, I paid the highway toll and acted as translator as the guide explained some of the culture and practices of the Chiapas Mayans. Back in San Cristobal, I arranged my passage to Guatemala the next day, and hooked into a bunch of people going for drinks at one of the reggae bars in town.

So, my last post from San Cristobal - incomplete without an obligatory cathedral photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home