Friday, January 27, 2006

Cancún - Day One

I am nearing the end of my first stint in Cancún, and I am generally getting the swing of things. That I have never travelled alone, have never hostelled, and have only a marginal grasp on Spanish left me with shaky knees at the airport. But before long, I found the cheapest way to el centro (15p on a luxury bus), found the hostel, and hit the supermarket for dinner. I have learned that one cold litre of beer costs the same as the aforementioned bus.

One item I should comment on is the effects of Hurricane Wilma on Cancún. The force the hurricane unleashed here is evident as you fly in, with all the trees in the area leaning at a 45 degree angle, away from el Mar de Caribe. The city itself seems unaffected, though I hear the hotel zone is still hurting.

On that note...

Imagine a big hotel. No, a REALLY big hotel. Now put about seventy of them side-by-side and then place them on the most glorious beachfront property in México. That is the Zona Hotelera, and I can see it on the skyline. You cannot miss it or the effect it has on Cancún - those who have been to Cabo San Lucas will understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home