Monday, January 23, 2006

Canada Votes 2006

I voted this morning - it took about four minutes. Of course, I will subject myself to three to four hours of election coverage tonight as I unpack and repack my travel bag, thinking that by watching I will somehow change the outcome.

But I already did. I voted. And I voted for a candidate and party, not against another. I am utterly baffled by the logic behind 'strategic' voting, which is one short step from voting for who you think's going to win. This approach works in horseracing, but little else.

If you want to be strategic, you vote for the person or party that aligns with your principles, not against one that does not. This helps in two ways:

1) Your vote reflects your principles, and is counted by the media, pollsters and (even opposing) political parties. This gives street cred to the candidate or party you choose.

2) Your vote supports your principles, as Elections Canada divides funding according to the votes parties receive. Increased funding means more resources for those who share your views, and more resources means a louder voice in the political landscape.

But don't take my word for it - Rafe Mair has posted an article on The Tyee debunking the notion of the 'wasted' vote. There are no wasted votes, unless you vote 'strategically', of course.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that "strategic voting" is not strategic at all. All it does is perpetuate a bunch of second-guessing, poll-watching, pundit-believing distraction from key issues and policy platforms.

I'm coming to think that electoral reform - a move to STV or proportional representation - might be the way to go; it would free people to vote according to what they want most, rather than what they want least.

But of course, you know that already...

11:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was pretty funny watching the news last night, as a reporter questioned whether anyone in the West End would care enough to vote based on the fact there are so few support signs around. Of course, most buildings have bylaws that state you can't put up signs. Bonehead.

12:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home