Monday, February 20, 2006

No Diving for Cam

I put two and two together the moment our prospective instructor handed us the medical checklist for diving. I didn't even have to read the checklist - I knew Pneumothorax would be on there. Sure enough, it was fourth on the list. This killed my hopes for getting my PADI certification here on Roatán, or anywhere for that matter.

A pneumothorax is a collapsed lung. I suffered one about four years ago, when my right lung half-collapsed. Needless to say, the rest of the run that day did not go so well. Actually, in the weeks following, I was unable to climb a flight of stairs in under a minute.

I could find a doctor on the island, and I could get clearance I suppose, but a bit of research on the Internet laid out some very dire consequences of diving with a risk of recurrence. So now, I am sitting across from one of about twenty dive docks, sipping on a coffee, watching boatload after boatload of people cart wetsuits, tanks, and gear across the street and launch into another day's adventures. Diving is what you do here - to such an extent that I can see four buoys, each marking a world-class dive site not 250m offshore.

On the bright side, snorkeling here is just as good. I was out this morning to swim (and salt water buoyancy makes you feel like the Thorpedo), and I saw hundreds of fish, and even a couple of squid. I am also going to meet up with Sofie from Denmark, who I met on the San Pedro hike. She has quite a fear of fish, so there is at least one more person on the island who isn't diving.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cambam, so sad about the diving; but, there is something about snorkeling--maybe it's just because the word snorkeling is fun to say, or maybe it's because it's always fun to clear your snorkel like a humpback--that is most excellently mellow.
Just wanted to let you know that I'm loving your posts--thanks for this, amigo; it's like a mini-vacation for us still grinding away back here on the wetcoast.
Continue to take good care of you,
cheers, jo

11:28 PM

 
Blogger Colin said...

Oh, bad news about the diving. Still, you may want to talk to a doctor and get his opinion on it. Asthma is another thing on those lists (admittedly not as severe as pneumothorax) so I had to get a doctor's note saying that I was medically OK to dive... PADI are just so cautious about these things if there's any remote chance of additional risk. It's certainly possible, though, that you'd be able to dive to shallower depths (basic PADI certification is good to 60 feet) without trouble.

In any case, the nice thing about reefs not too far offshore is that they do often offer magnificent snorkeling as well. Glad you're able to enjoy that. :)

11:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU. EVERYONE IS WELL HERE AND WATCHING THE POSTINGS. CHRIS IS IN MEXICO AND COMES BACK SATERDAY. PAM SAYS SONJA IS LEARNING A NEW WORD EVERY DAY NOW. THERE IS TIME FOR YOU TO GET A COUPLE IN WHEN YOU MEET HER AND BEFORE HER MOM GETS A SCREENING SYSTEM UP.
HAVE A GOOD TIME DONT FORGET A BAD DAY THERE IS WAY BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY HERE.

L DAD

2:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home