Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Chicken Bus

I am no longer a chicken bus virgin, as I had my first trip on one today.

What is a chicken bus, you ask? Well, the first thing you need to know is that Guatemala is where old US and CDN school buses go when they die. And trust me, they go to heaven! Just look:














Before



After




I broke some common-sense chicken bus guidelines on my first trip. The first was not having a bag small enough that you could take on the bus with you. The second was not removing all (any, actually) items from the bag before it was placed on the roof. To compensate, I watched the loading and unloading of passengers and goods like a hawk. I concluded that the chicken bus is transportation's version of poetry in motion, with the bus barely stopping when picking up passengers, and the baggage and luggage handler securing loads to the roof rack while the bus carrens down the winding Guatemalan highway. When finished, the baggage guy climbs down one of two ladders on the back of the bus, enters through the rear emergency exit, and then recalls who's paid and who's not and collects back to front.

The 2.5 hour bus ride to Panajachel cost me 20 quetzals - about $3CDN. These incredibly low rates are entirely based on cheap labour - the driver I chatted with from the border to Xela described his 12-14 hour day for which he is paid just under $10CDN. Everything here is inexpensive - I just booked into a hotel with hot showers here in Pana for 50 quetzals, which is under $8CDN.

I have no photo of my first chicken bus, because my camera was securely (and safely, it turned out) strapped to the roof of the bus.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God, man! You spend as much time blogging as vacationing! Good for us readers, I suppose! (*shaps uses up his daily allotment of exclamation marks)

9:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back online......wondered where the blog had gone. we'll keep tracking you from Rinçon de G. by the by: did your chicken bus have an emergency brake? or were rocks stuck behind/in front of wheels when you stopped?

Enjoy:)

10:07 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Marchildon said...

Where do they put the chickens?

1:39 PM

 
Blogger camarooned said...

They usually put the chickens on the bus, though I don't think they get preferential seating.

2:51 PM

 
Blogger camarooned said...

Hey Shaps,

Fortunately, I am taking the entries right out of my notebook (more or less). Uploading photos from here is a pain - they get intermittent upload speeds of 8k/second.

And yeah, you should totally ease up on the exclamation marks - that was intense. Maybe you need a holiday....

2:54 PM

 
Blogger fabulous girl said...

Is this post in the vein of our ongoing game of 'I've never ...' ? Btw, if you're having issues loading photos today, so am I. It's not the Guatemala Effect.

2:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

spent some time to figure this out today. uncommonly quiet-- maybe before the storm. everyone is well here. have fun. find us a place to spend a week

dad

2:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi cam! this is michèle from québec! we met in merida that sunday night... it seems i have missed you by a few days in every city you have been in! sounds like you are having a great time! i think you were the most interesting person i have talked to so far on this trip... loved reading your blog! your mexico part reads a bit like mine!

6:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Looks and sounds like an amazing trip! You're giving me itchy feet!

I am enjoying the blog!

12:52 PM

 
Blogger camarooned said...

Hey Michele,

Maybe we will catch up to one another again in Antigua, as I am through here three times. Drop me a note if you are around on the 12th or 16th/17th.

10:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home