Sunday, February 12, 2006

Lago de Atitlán - Panajachel and San Pedro

I am presently recovering from the classic traveller's stomach bug here in San Pedro. Yesterday was a write-off, more or less, despite walking over to the Panajachel Nature Reserve. The 1.5km walk is a scorcher at mid-day, feeling just like the walk out to Paul's Tomb on Knox Mountain.

The 45 quetzal entry got me in to see the reserve's main attraction - a group of about 8 endangered spider monkeys. There are a few other animals and a butterfly hatchery, but the place is geared to the monos.

Panajachel itself is full of hippie ex-pats, which allows the town to live up to its nickname of Gringotenango. I was able to have an espresso and watch some of the Superbowl at a pub here. Most people who come to Atitlán get through Pana as fast as possible, and now I know why. Because I was under the weather, I opted for two nights here. Later the next morning I jumped on a lancha to get to San Pedro, and have already scheduled the second volcano hike. Here's hoping I am sufficiently recovered to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home