Friday, February 24, 2006

Into Belize - Barely

I had to use up all of my karma points for this holiday to get to Belize. This i because I went to the airport yesterday and bought a ticket for a Friday, 7AM flight from Roatan to Belize City. Then I proceeded to drink away my Thursday evening, downing vodka-cranberries until the wee hours. I didn't feel too bad, as Andy and Mike (Washington State) were along for the ride, and we agreed to split the cab to the airport the next morning. Cathy was up when I got home, and she and Michael (Vermont) were slated to be up at the same time as me to catch the ferry to La Ceiba.

I went to bed spinning at 3:30AM (we closed every place in the West End), and missed my 5AM alarm. Cathy and Michael missed theirs as well. My eyes opened at 7AM, and I was still kind of inebriated. Defeated, I lay back down for a while, to 'think'.

But I had to get off the island (this was my second day trying) as I would not be able to stand another two or three days in the West End. I vowed to go to the airport and get as far as I could today (likely San Pedro Sula). When I arrived at 7:45, the flight to Belize was still on the ground - classic Carribean time! I raced through customs, and found Mike and Andy stretched across the seating at the departure gate.

The flight - with me on it - left Roatan at 9AM. We landed in Belize City before 11:00AM, right before a connecting flight to Caye Caulker. I made the decision between Glover's Atoll and Caulker at the ticket counter.

So now, here I sit in my beachfront room at the Miramar Hotel (12USD per night), enjoying the sun setting on another beautiful Carribean afternoon. I didn't think I would find a place More laid back than Roatan, but I definitely have. The photo at left is the airport, and everyone here rides fat-tire cruiser bikes. They take their relaxation seriously here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your flight was later than you were. I'd be tempted to ask how on earth you could want to leave Roatan, but then the pictures of Caye Caulkin look pretty fabulous, too. Have a great time there - snorkelling, or kayaking, or cruising on one of the bikes, or all of the above. Take lots of photos, too, for those of us still waking up to frosty mornings.

7:10 PM

 
Blogger fabulous girl said...

And I wasn't even the one fixing the vodka & cranberries! You are a lucky, lucky man.

5:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your adventures with great jealousy. So glad that you are having a good time. By now you you may have hooked up with Pam. I told her you would babysit while she partied. I worked my last day on the 24th and now have holidays til Mar.31st. What a strange feeling but a good one. Party on the 31 Mar.-hope you can make it but know you are not back until the 27th or so. Have fun with Pam, Alex, and Sonja. Dad and I wish we were there as well.
Take some pics of Sonja for me.
Mom and Dad

5:43 PM

 
Blogger camarooned said...

Mom, I will be there. I can't recall having to work that day....

I am in Seattle on the 29th. Maybe I will just come straight there, instead of hopping back onto the island.

Note for others: My Mom is retiring from her gig as an operating room nurse this month! Free babysitting for Pam!

6:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home